7.08.2013

Happy Monday & What We've Been Cooking

Though I love the business of summer, I still feel like the time is going by way too fast. It frustrates me to go into stores and see ALL the summer/ patio stuff deeply discounted because I know they are preparing the way for "the next thing," which in many cases is fall decor. I am SO not ready for this yet!

So I'm embracing summer! Here's a little recap of what we've been cooking lately: Lots of salads, lots of Southwestern food, lots of things that don't require standing over the stove in the very hot weather with a few treats mixed in here and there!

First, these Blueberry Muffins. They are so good! Made with oatmeal, greek yogurt and blueberries-- they are healthy but still moist and delicious. They have definitely replaced the old Oatmeal Applesauce Blueberry Muffins I used to make. These are WAY BETTER! I actually have to add about 1/4- 1/2 cup of Buttermilk or Milk because the batter is so thick... but that makes it even better-- you get large muffins and mine even yielded 14 or 15 instead of a dozen.

 add a sprinkling of sugar to each one before you bake them-- it gives them a nice crust. 

Yum!

While we are discussing food, I recently made Pioneer Woman's Mocha Brownies. WHOA. 
If you like coffee and chocolate at ALL, you should make these. Soon. I made a half recipe and a half recipe of the frosting for Father's Day. (A half recipe was plenty.)

Mine weren't really all that pretty because my frosting did something funny--
(I think the butter was too soft when I mixed them. ) But still, DELICIOUS!!!

Also by PW, we tried this Watermelon Pico de Gallo. So good. It was part of our 4th of July fare and I've been eating it for days. So fresh!

This Chicken, Bacon and Avocado Salad was the perfect friday night meal this week. I will definitely make it again. I halved the dressing though. Otherwise, it seemed like way too much. 

Another recipe we've made frequently is this one for Peanut Noodles with Vegetables. We have loaded them up with Red Pepper Strips and Broccoli, Julienned Zucchini and even chicken once. It makes a great main dish with only one pot for the whole meal. 
We've also made it as a side along with these Sticky Balsamic Chicken Legs. (Pictured Below)

(creepy feet photobomb. don't worry, I've gotten a pedicure since then.)


Well, that's pretty much it for now! I'm all about the easy, make ahead and cold and fresh food lately! Please let me know if you try any of these!

2 comments:

a girl and her love said...

thank you for giving me the menu for my week. Hello- yum! And would you know that I have tried 2 recipes online in the search for a yogurt oatmeal blueberry muffin because I wanted to find a recipe without having to call you for the 1000000 time in a day asking for yet another recipe??? I didn't like any recipe I tried. I should have called you.

I love you, friend!!! I will let you know how all of these meals turn out. ;)

Linda said...

Everything looks and sounds so good! I saw Ree make those mocha brownies on her show...oh my goodness the amount of frosting! Been wanting to try the watermelon salsa too. Thanks for the suggestions from your "test kitchen"...fail proof!